Grace and Josie | A Blog for Moms

Rhode Island based Mom blogger sharing fashion, shopping, and lifestyle tips.

York Beach: Day 3

Day 3 started off in a deep deep fog and never really lifted where we're staying out on the point. We finally left the house after lunch and walked to the center of town about a mile away.

York Beach is famous for this taffy shop, Goldenrod where they are still churning out the taffy 100+ years later. 

We had to try the peppermint, molasses, and French toast. 

Grace fell asleep not long after we left and was still sleeping during our jaunt around town so we kept walking to Matt's Grandparent's house on Long Sands Beach. 
We stayed and visited for a while before Matt and I snuck off for a little date lunch at a restaurant a few houses down, Stones Throw. Right across from Long Sands Beach, we found the menu (both food and drinks) to be surprisingly modern and upscale. Great food and we'll try to get back again before we leave. 

You really can't beat the view (ignore the cars first..)

Once we left lunch, we loaded into the MDX with Matt's parents and Grace and that's when the adventure began!
It had just started to rain when we were on our way to the grocery store. By the time we had to get out it was a full on downpour. Matt and I made a run for it while his parents and Grace waited in the car. We only had a few items to pick up for the night's meal - linguine and clams. Last stop- clams. We could hear a thunderstorm roaring overhead. As our five dozen clams were being counted out the lights cut to blackness in the grocery store. Not even an emergency light, let alone generator backup! 
Luckily everyone has a flashlight on their phone and they started popping on, nicely illuminating Hannaford's wine selection. By the way, can I just say how nice it is to have wine in the grocery store. We don't in Rhode Island and it's so annoying to have to make a 2nd stop (Wine-O rant over).

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only 10 minutes, the generator kicked on, we weighed our clams and got the hell out of Dodge. The rain had stopped by the time we got back to the car. Poor Grace was freaked out because she overheard that Mommy and Daddy were locked in the store.

The ride back to the beach house required some bobbing and weaving because whatever storm cell that came through left a path of destruction and many downed trees right through the center of York. We had to turn around twice before we were able to get down to RT 1A. When we did get home, poor Aunt Barbie, who had been left to ride out the storm at the beach house by herself had just emerged from the basement to find the giant Weber grill had been blown over.

With the lights still out, we were thankful to have a gas grill and some power in an iPhone so we could still access the Linguine with Clams recipe. Our disastrous afternoon turned into a disastrous evening when I had to learn Adult Lesson #104 of "Do not pour cold wine into hot oil" and sent scalding hot popping oil all over the kitchen. Matt had to step in to remove the pan and thus save us and the house from a grease fire. The clean up? Yeah, let's just say I never want to have to go through that again. Faced with no hot water, limited dish towels and no plates to eat dinner on, my mother-in-law took matters into her own hands and ripped a beach towel right down the middle with such survival-instinct force that I knew she was riding high on adrenaline. After the oil incident I was demoted to dish dryer with my new beach towel/dish towel. The happy ending? My father-in-law made a fantastic Linguine with Clams and the Oyster Bay was still cold. We finished just in time because things were starting to get pretty dark in the house. Literally minutes before we decided we had to eat all the ice cream in the house the lights popped back on. 

No comments

Post a Comment